Many OA villages are small and scattered over a wide area, and some are difficult to access. Middlemen incur high costs going into remote villages and need to pass on that high cost to villagers. This often results in the OA getting paid low prices for their produce and remain in poverty.
As such, our 2023 target is to set up a central collection center, with a chiller truck going into such villages to collect and provide fair markets for their indigenous produce.
These are the targets:
- Consolidate and support the organic farming of 20 existing OA households in 3 villages towards enabling each household to earn RM1,000 to RM3,000 per month.
- Expand livelihood strategy options to at least 5 types of agroforestry activities like fruit tree planting, stingless bee rearing, fish rearing to benefit the whole OA community.
- Scale up this shared prosperity agroforestry model by providing training and facilitating access to fair markets for 20 OA villages by 2025.
- Set up a central collection center and logistics solution to provide affordable transportation to all 20 OA villages.
- Build capacity of OA communities to sustain their livelihoods and forest through awareness, training and development of protocols.
- Set up demonstration farms.
Agroforestry Development in Orang Asli Villages - Pekan
|Unit value per year
|Training in livelihood activities such as fruit tree planting, bee rearing, fish rearing and using regenerative natural oil palm planting.
Also regular coaching, organisational capacity building and management skills.
Includes study tours and seed capital to set up livelihood programmes for OA.
|Facilitation, training and meetings (review plans on community map, use of landscapes, protection of watershed/wildlife, agroforestry, mapping degraded areas & replanting areas, enforcement of protocols, monitoring, set up of leadership)
|Develop and facilitate fair markets
|Project management, communications and capacity building of staff
|ADMINISTRATION & FINANCE
|Set up cost for collection center and chiller space
Pekan Area We Target to Cover
Please consider donating (channel options below).
Together, we can build a green economy and fight for climate justice.
After successful transfer, you may fill in the following form:
If you require a tax exemption receipt, please contact us at +6013-326 5787 with your email, mobile or address. LHDN will require us to provide your IC number and full address.
Thank you for supporting our cause!